Lemala Mara & Ndutu Tented Camps
One authentic mobile tented camp, but in two locations, Lemala Ndutu & Lemala Mara move north and south with the seasons to ensure guests enjoy ringside seats to the spectacle of the magnificent wildebeest migration year-round. Both are setup in sublime locations offering a high quality safari experience with excellent guiding.
Lemala Ndutu Tented Camp is in the Ndutu region of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area near the border of the Southern Serengeti. This area is
classic savannah, characterized by flat grassy plains, and our camp is in one of the finest locations in Ndutu to see the migration between December and March. Tens of thousands of wildebeest, zebra and gazelle usually arrive in December to graze on the newly-watered, highly-nutritious short grass plains, and then by February, the main calving season takes place. Predators - especially the big cats - are highly concentrated in the Ndutu area in these months. With 9 tents, Lemala Ndutu is perched on the edge of a permanent marsh, and acts as the ultimate amphitheatre to capture the boundless drama that accompanies the migration
The 12 tents of Lemala Mara Tented Camp are set up under large Euclea trees in the heart of the best game viewing area of the Northern Serengeti between July and October. It’s very close to the Mara River, but yet the camp is far enough away to remain discreet and not interrupt wildlife behavior as the wildebeest mass along the steep banks during their frantic crossing on their way north to the Maasai Mara. Here, in this immense remote wilderness, guests can enjoy fabulous landscapes and terrific game viewing with practically no crowds. Resident wildlife numbers are always high, but nothing compared to the dramatic scenes during the migration as tens of thousands of animals gather to then plunge into the crocodile-infested river.
Lemala Mara & Ndutu is a mobile tented camp offering an authentic bush experience, but the tents are spacious and each is furnished with two queen-size beds and all the little luxuries that make them surprisingly comfortable. After an evening game drive, your tent attendant ensures your safari shower is filled with hot water to wash away the dust of the African savannah. Tasty meals are freshly prepared, and the camp organizes great picnic breakfasts and lunches for those who want to go on extended full-day game drives.
The communal areas have separate lounge and dining areas and are beautifully decorated with leather sofas, chandeliers, side cabinets, rugs, chests and a bar. In the evening, guests can gather around the campfire to enjoy pre-dinner drinks and canapes and sharing their safari stories.
- Ndutu: 9 tents furnished with 2 queen-size beds (triples available on request)
- Mara: 12 tents furnished with 2 queen-size beds (triples available on request)
- En-suite bathroom with flush toilet and hot safari-style shower
- 24-hr solar electricity with a back-up generator
- Mess tent with a separate lounge and bar
- Complimentary internet in the lounge and bar
- Complimentary laundry (limited services only)
- Charging facilities for devices in the lounge and bar
- Open sided 4x4 game-viewing vehicles
- Ndutu: nearest airstrip is Ndutu, just a 30-minute drive away
- Mara: nearest airstrip is Kogatende, just a 25-minute drive away
- Complimentary drinks (except for premium wines and spirits)
- Children are welcome; please contact us for more information about our Lemala Cubs
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware"
- Martin Buber